Removing An IUD and A Cervical Screening Test in Edinburgh

First I'll let you know what an IUD is, An IUD is a type of contraception. It's a small T-shaped plastic and copper device that inserted into your womb (uterus) by a specially trained doctor, or nurse. And an IUD can stay in the womb for five to ten years, depending on the type of the IUD.

I had an IUD fitted in my womb twice. First, five months after I gave birth my first child, and it was removed when he was two years old because I planned to have my second child. Second, it was fitted on march 2013, when my baby about a year and a half.


Actually, I didn't plan to have a coil removed. It started when I went to GP for a cervical screening test ( previously known as a smear test ) last year. The nurse asked me, did I use any contraception, what type of contraception it was, and how long it has been fitted. I told her that I use a coil (an IUD) and it's  been fitted for three years and a half. After taking some sample cells for the cervical screening test, the nurse checked the position of the coil. Surprisingly, she told me that she couldn't see the threads and the are some possibilities why they couldn't be seen so she suggested me to have screening test at Western General Hospital.

A month later, I went to Western General Hospital for the screening test. Happily, the nurses told me that the coil was in the right place. After discussing with my husband, we decided to make another appointment for removing the coil. I met the doctor in GP and explained her about the previous condition, she tried to remove the coil but unfortunately, she told me the same that she couldn't see the threads so she couldn't remove the coil. And again, I need to make another appointment with Family Planning as she suggested me.

And last month I went to Sighthill Health Centre and met another doctor, I also explained her everything. She did the same as the previous doctor and I also got the same result that she couldn't she the threads and she told me that they don't have special equipment for removing the coil which has no thread could be seen. So, she made another appointment for me in Chalmers Centre.

To be honest, I was really pessimistic. I told my husband it must be the last appointment for removing the coil. If they still can't remove it, I will stop making another appointment. It was not as simple as removing the coil in Indonesia. And today, I met the doctor at Chalmers Centre. First, she asked me to empty my bladder and continued screening my womb with an ultrasound technique for checking the coil position and checking the condition of the womb. And luckily, everything was fine. She started taking the coil, after a couple of minutes it's been removed.

So, how about the mistress of the unseen threads? Commonly, the IUD has threads as you can see in the previous picture above (b), the threads right under the T-shaped coil. But, today the doctor showed me the coil which had been taken from my womb, it had no threads. She also told me, maybe in Indonesia It's common to have the coil fitted without the threads. However, I feel much better now.

And for your information, for removing the coil in the UK it was covered by NHS. It's almost the same like BPJS in Indonesia. But here, everything is much better organised.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

His Journey Is On Another Level

Prosedur Sekolah Di Ma'had Al Azhar Kairo

Pengalaman hari pertama sekolah kakak Aufa di Edinburgh, United Kingdom